Sunday, November 05, 2006

Kayaking and Envronmental Stewardship

I am one happy (and tired) slug!

My mom took me out KAYAKING this morning.

Even better than kayaking was the fact that we did more volunteering to help the environment.

This time, we were volunteering with the
Puget Creek Restoration Society helping replace markers for an Eelgrass survey. Eelgrass is very important for salmon habitat. (among other things) Did you know that out migrating juvenile, salmon may stay in Commencement Bay (and other areas of the Puget Sound) for a year until they are big and strong enough to survive in the Pacific Ocean?

I didn’t either. I learned that today when Mom told me.

We carried equipment out to the divers and carried old rebar back to shore.

Here I am on a KAYAK!



Here’s me and my Mom



AND, with John and Jacqueline from the City of Tacoma’s
EnviroChallenger program. John took my Mom’s friend Bruno’s job after he moved away to take another job. He’s pretty cool. Jacqueline is cool too!



After a while, my Mom made me watch from shore. She was carrying some heavy and awkward stuff, and even in my plastic bag, she was afraid that if a load shifted and she rolled her kayak, that I might float away. It was all very fun to watch though.

That’s it for now…

~DTES

No comments: